By Shirley Samuels
- Draws seriously on historic and cultural contexts in its attention of yankee fiction
- Relates the fiction of the interval to conflicts approximately territory and sovereignty and to problems with gender, race, ethnicity and identity
- Covers various varieties of fiction, together with children’s literature, sketches, polemical items, historic romances, Gothic novels and novels of exploration
- Considers either canonical and lesser-known authors, together with James Fennimore Cooper, Hannah Foster, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Herman Melville and Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Treats missed issues, corresponding to the Western novel, technology and the unconventional, and American fiction in languages except English
Read Online or Download A Companion to American Fiction 1780 - 1865 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
Chosen through selection as an excellent educational e-book of the 12 months. This leading edge cultural critique bargains necessary insights into technology fiction, hence enlarging our knowing of serious theory.
Flannery O'Connor is one in all America's most unusual Southern authors. presently after she begun her writing occupation she was once clinically determined with lupus. regardless of her disease, O'Connor authored greater than dozen brief tales and novels. Her hugely regionalized Southern Gothic tales usually contain ugly characters.
This can be the 1st publication to mix modern debates in ballad reports with the insights of recent textual scholarship. similar to canonical literature and tune, the ballad shouldn't be visible as a uniquely real merchandise inextricably tied to a documented resource, yet fairly as an volatile constitution topic to the vagaries of construction, reception, and enhancing.
James Fenimore Cooper's Leather-Stocking stories, released among 1823 and 1841, are regularly considered as America's first significant works of fiction. right here, Geoffrey Rans presents no longer easily a brand new analyzing of the 5 novels that include the sequence but in addition a brand new means of studying them. Rans analyzes all of the 5 novels (The Pioneers, The final of the Mohicans, The Prairie, The Pathfinder, and The Deerslayer) in the order within which they have been initially composed, an achronological series by way of the tales they inform.
- Robbing The Mother: Women in Faulkner
- Edward Said (Routledge Critical Thinkers)
- A Companion to the Regional Literatures of America (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
- La metamorfosi: Inclou Recurs Digital (LES EINES) (Catalan Edition)
- The Dream of Arcady: Place and Time in Southern Literature
- After the End of History: American Fiction in the 1990s
Extra info for A Companion to American Fiction 1780 - 1865 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to American Fiction 1780 - 1865 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Shirley Samuels